$16.00 per hour / 16 hours per week / No benefits
Deadline to Apply: November 28, 2016
Meerkerk Gardens is a small non-profit with limited resources but a strong vision. We harness the strengths of our members, volunteers, employees and our other organizational partnerships in a positive, yet dedicated way. Meerkerk Garden’s approach is one of “can do”, where staff and volunteers are encouraged to be persistent, think outside of the box to confront challenges, and take ownership over the organization’s ongoing projects and mission.
Meerkerk Gardens seeks a 16-hour a week Assistant Gardener. We are looking for a long-term team member who has a passion for gardens and is looking to develop their horticultural career. Position will start in January 2017. Position pays $16.00 per hour with no benefits.
- Supervised by the Garden Manager.
- Work in collaboration with the Garden Manager, Special Projects Manager, Nursery Manager to maintain the 10 acres of display gardens and 43 acres of forest preserve
- Work will entail debris management, mulching, mowing, blowing, pruning, planting, irrigation work, light facility maintenance, and working on the varied special projects throughout the year.
- Safely work outdoors with team members and volunteers
- The job involves regular bending, kneeling, lifting for extended periods and manual handling of heavy equipment & materials, moving large mature rhododendrons & plants. Applicant needs to be capable of this type of strenuous work
- Ability to lift 50 lbs, kneel, reach, stoop, bend, and twist for long periods of time.
- Excellent communication skills, team player, respectful, and positive attitude
- Ability to take direction and work independently in an efficient manner.
- Drug and alcohol free environment.
- Master Gardener preferred. Knowledge of rhododendrons, native plants, and deciduous trees helpful.
High school or equivalent
- Gardening: 1 year.
- Practical experience & ability in a range of horticultural tasks.
- Experience and knowledge of driving & using large equipment, tractors, mowers, chain saws, string trimmers, and hand tools.
Required license or certification:
- Driver's License
- Clean driving record.
Application deadline is Monday November 28, 2016.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references by email to: email@example.com .
No telephone calls please. Please include “Assistant Gardener” in the subject line. To learn more and to download the full job description, visit our website at www.meerkerkgardens.org.
Deadline to apply: November 28, 2016